NOTE: To PHCS O PROGRESSO subscribers – due to the covid-19 virus and compliance with the social distancing orders – our printer may be unavailable. We will mail issues as soon as we can. Meanwhile, you can access the Master Calendar. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
O Progresso, the newsletter of the Portuguese Historical & Cultural Society (PHCS), contains articles on history, genealogy, Portuguese communities, social events, and other articles of interest to Portuguese Americans.
O Progresso is published quarterly, in March, June, September, and December of each year. It is an English-language publication usually 10-12 pages in length. For more information about O Progresso, please contact Editor, Mary Ann Marshall at:
Suggestions for stories are welcome.
O Progresso features a yearly calendar of events related to the Portuguese of this region and groups from all over have come to rely on this calendar. Of course, to get your copy of the calendar when it is first issued, be certain you subscribe to O Progresso and look for it in the March issue each year.
Sample of articles published in the O Progresso newsletter:
- March 1997 – Vol.16, #1
- Centennial of Sacramento Portuguese Holy Spirit Society
- Tours to Portugal Offered
- Call for Unpublished Writers (“Wryte” – on-line literary magazine)
- Military Titles of the Past (Genealogy article by Doug da Rocha Holmes)
- A Herança Portuguesa: The Portuguese of Rio Vista.
- September 2000 – Vol.19, #3
- Azorean Students feted at Annual Ice Cream Social
- Myths of the Azores Islands by Fedra M. Machado
- Portuguese Owned Grocery Store being Restored
- September 2010 – Vol.29, #3
- IV International Holy Spirit Conference
- Musica Em Viagem Concert–An Azorean Musical Journey
Unless otherwise noted, all articles are written by the editor.